Each year, nearly 700 manufacturers, wholesalers, brokers, retailers and growers donate more than 22 million pounds of food to Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin. Food is donated to the food bank for a variety of reasons: production overruns, labeling errors, soon to expire product code dates and discontinued or obsolete products. Although the product is not marketable, it is still wholesome and safe to consume.
It’s easy to become a corporate food donor, and it makes good business sense. Regularly donating product reduces your costs associated with dumping and storage. It also may provide substantial tax benefits.
Why Choose Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin?
Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin provides accountability and ensures the integrity of your product.
- track your product from the point of origin to the actual 501(c)(3) charity that receives the product
- ensure that your donation will reach a family in need —not the secondary market
- recall donated product quickly and efficiently when the need arises
- assure donors that product is handled safely from the point it is picked up until it reaches those in need
- distribute products more efficiently than any other hunger-relief organization
Becoming a Food Donor
Manufacturers who would like to donate excess food should contact Ross Younger, Food Resources Manager, 414-831-6335 or by email to discuss setting up a partnership.
The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Donations Act is a federal law ensuring that donors are protected from any civil and criminal liability, as long as the product is donated in good faith. In addition, both of our food banks are AIB Compliant, ensuring that your donation will be handled safely.
Many donations of product also are eligible for an enhanced tax deduction under IRS 170(C)(3). Please consult your tax advisor for details.